Traditions are what give life meaning. They draw family and friends together. They promote teamwork, collaboration, and joy.
This standard is met year after year with The Bolder-Boulder, a 10k race held Memorial Day weekend in Boulder, Co. Yes this race does draw competitors from around the world, including China, Kenya, Ethiopia, and Mexico. But it also draws a different crowd of participants; locals.
It is these locals that really add a unique flavor to the race. We tend to see a wide range of participants, from toddlers all the way up to centennials. We see Iron Men, desk jockies, and the disabled. Everyone is welcome in this race. But for those of you who are looking for the inside scoop on how to take your race experience to the next level, I’ve got 5 secrets to success to share with you.
- Costumes– Now some will argue that Superman only shows his true power when his cape is flapping in the wind. This holds true for all of us as well. If you want to take your race to the next level, dress up! Look, some of you are thinking to yourself as you read this..”Dressing up for a race is ridiculous…I would NEVER do that”. Under normal circumstances, I would totally agree with you. HOWEVER, the Bolder-Boulder is truly unique in that it can draws out that inner child in all of us. So, if you want to take your experience to the next level, dress up..be silly..truly enjoy your experience!
- Tequila– Some of you are probably thinking, “only alcoholics (or CU students) drink Tequila at 7 am”. Normally, you’d be right! However, the magic of the Bolder-Boulder shines through once again and morning drinking becomes a legitimate thing. You may also be thinking who in their right mind is going to drink alcohol while running?! To that point I will say only the most successful athletes can finish a race while buzzed. If you think you have what it takes, grab that shot on mile marker 3 and enjoy the rest of the race a little more care free!
- Bacon– I shouldn’t even have to break down why this is a winning idea but I’ll do it anyway! Bacon makes life better. Whether it is the real thing or maybe your eating some vegan alternative, the spirit of bacon warms the heart. If you find yourself feeling down along the race, and you decide tequila isn’t for you, then you will find your friend bacon handed out along the course.
- Slip n Slide– You are reading this correctly, there is actually a slip N slide ON THE COURSE! Give your legs a break while you glide to supreme bliss on your favorite toy from your childhood. As you are participating in the race, I implore you to slide to victory! If you are worried about getting wet, don’t worry it’s probably going to be snowing anyways!
- Cookies– When have cookies not warmed your soul? Along the way you will find home made cookies to fuel you to victory. Chocolate chip, snickerdoodle, peanut butter…yum. Do be careful if you are concerned about coming across a psychedelic experience as some of those delicious treats might back a bigger punch than you had bargained for.
To close, the Bolder-Boulder is a tradition worth carrying on for years to come. It has everything that warms the heart: family, friends, competition, and bacon. There is not a better transition from Spring to Summer than attending the Bolder-Boulder. If you have not participated yet, now is your time. For those of you that have, reminisce on the great experience and how you can implement these 5 strategies into your next race!
Yours in Tradition,
Dr. Rich Baez
About Atlas Chiropractic of Boulder
At Atlas Chiropractic of Boulder we are not only concerned about your symptoms, but also you as a person and what is important to you. We know that not everyone’s the same and not everyone has the same goals. It is important to us that we present a chiropractic care plan that works for you and is tailored to you and your health concerns.
We’re a specialty Boulder Chiropractor focused on back pain, neck pain, vertigo, and migraine headaches. Our patients visit our Boulder office from all over Northern Colorado, including, Longmont, Erie, Superior, Lafayette, Niwot, Louisville, Broomfield, and Denver, Colorado.
Contact Atlas Chiropractic of Boulder today to schedule a free evaluation. Specialized upper cervical chiropractic care is by no means a “hail Mary” solution, but if you haven’t yet seen Dr. Bremner, you’re nowhere close to running out of options.